Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Let there be Light!

How hard do you think it is to find a lamp that is groovy, funky and at a price that doesn't require a second mortgage? Well let me tell you, it is REALLY tricky! I had a big old hunt for one to give to my 16 year old friend (who has just revamped her bedroom) for her birthday and there was just NOTHING about that I liked. Well I did what any self respecting crafter would do do - I decided to make one myself! I hunted up a stand at a second hand store and luckily for me my darling father-in-law who is a retired carpenter was happy to give it a proper sand and undercoat! Then it was out with Jo Sonya paints and it was slowly transformed. I couldn't resist some gold highlights for a bit of extra ooomph!
I bought a white shade from Target and recovered it by joining lots of different lushy fabrics and then embelishing with braids and ribbons! Some of these fabrics were from things my Mum had made and are over 30 years old. The final touch was a beaded ribbon around the bottom. I think it looked great - just right for the new BoHo look my friend was aiming for! Unfortunately I didn't get to see her unwrap it but the feedback was good and she is just the kind of girl to really value something that has been handmade. Yay for DIY!
Why bother shopping really?

Here are some before and after shots!






















2 comments:

Melissa said...

OMG, it's to dye for!

Bobbi said...

Very very cool, I love what you transformed it into.