Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Gifted, Thrifted and Found.

Some time ago I posted about a piece I was making for an exhibition and at the time I only had a fairly blurry picture to show. Well, the piece has gone off to a new home and I made sure to take some close up shots because I had a few requests to see what the thing was really made of!

This is it in its entirety - yep it is pretty massive - and weighs a tonne!

Allsorts - from old keys to a charm bracelet from Germany.

Odd earrings and a broken bit of bracelet ...

Some Swarovski crystals, a cameo and a brass heart team up with some broken necklaces.

I think this little enameled bird is probably circa 1975!

The bat was one of a very cool pair of sterling silver earrings - where do odd earrings go do you s'pose? I think they are hanging out with the odd socks that mysteriously disappear from the washing machine.


I got this dear little bluebird brooch in a local thrift store. It is made of some kind of softish metal - the sort of thing you used to win at sideshows.

A wee owl nestled amongst the pearls.

Another brooch and my favourite component - a rhinestone earring. This was my Mums, and I have kept it despite it having no partner for years and years and years. I finally decided it was time to let it go and the act of putting it in this piece was actually quite cathartic. Who would have guessed? The new owner is delighted with the piece - no real plans to wear it - except for a special birthday coming up - so it will be displayed as an artpiece in her home.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it, so very creative, it really is a work of art! You are so talented

Anonymous said...

Love this very much. So much work and beautifuly balanced.

Melissa said...

Looks great
M
xxx

Ro Bruhn said...

This is a gem of a piece, a real talking point.

Rustic Tarts said...

Yes I thought someone would want to take it home - there are so many elements to it.