Thursday, December 30, 2010

Looking back ...

This is certainly the time of year for reflection. Most people cast back over the year and have a think about their highs and lows - it is a natural thing to do and I guess it is one way in which we grow each year. Today I saw a bumper sticker that said "I am in shape ... Round is a shape!" and it made me giggle a bit - I kinda relate to the round bit and am not unduly uncomfortable with my shape - even at this reveal-more-flesh-than-any-other-time-of-year time. It got me to thinking about labels and such and the limitations they can place on us if we let them. Two sets of traffic lights later and I got to thinking about all the things I had learned this year - and there have been alot - from practical skills to the realisation of personal aspirations. One thing I learned in 2010 is that labels are not always bad. For the first time ever, I actually wrote "artist" as my profession on a form this year. And it didn't feel weird - how weird is that?! So I guess I feel I have earned the label and learned to be comfortable with it. I could blather on about the skills I learned from the indomitable Ms Kazmer, or all the things I continue to learn from my kids but maybe I will save that for another time ...
So what have you learned in 2010? Did you have an "ah-ha" moment, acquire a new skill or perhaps you gained some insight into something you had previously found baffling?
Thank you for joining me here in 2010 and I wish all of you a most happy and creatively bountiful New Year!

No comments: