Monday, January 2, 2012

Work in Progress

Really it has just been far too hot here to think, let alone undertake any creative work! Nonetheless, this morning my fingers were itching to be busy so I sat at my bench and collected a few bits and pieces together ...


I didn't have a plan - I just thought it might be fun to practice some cold connections and join some stuff together. In the end, I settled on making something with the little hinged box with the blue front.


I wasn't really loving that blue front so my first step was to disguise it behind some text from a dictionary which I covered with mica to make it durable.


That looks better - right? By this stage I had settled on making a pendant box - maybe something of a treasure box? Or a place to keep wishes? Next step - decoration!


Amongst the bits I had fished out was a squished bottle cap and this lovely brass bird - it was a necklace from an oppie. I also added a layer of etched pewter and then rivettted it all to the box lid. I think the key pictured here will dangle from the bottom of the box and I will make a bead chain to hang the pendant from. In the end my studio just got too hot and I had to call it quits but it was a fun play while it lasted. Sometimes it is good to come back to a project later because you see it with fresh eyes and make creative choices you might otherwise have forgone. We'll see. I'll keep you posted ....

3 comments:

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

Beautiful Sue!!

Two Dog Pond said...

Love it! Love the spoons too - you are amazing!

Emmica Schlobohm said...

I want it!! I think a beaded strand would look great or even multi strand chain-similar to my alice inspired bottle necklace : )