Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Just saying ...

 Yesterday I was catching up on some stuff in Blogland and read Pip's post about Jay Chou - this fabo artist (like her work dahling!) who has created (among other things) a portrait using coffee stains. You have to see it to get it so click over here. That evening I was adding some patina to some bead caps I had made and I rested them on a bit of scrap paper - nasty stuff patina - it makes a mess. When I lifted up my little beadcaps to polish them, I was left with this ...


The paper was stained by the patina - darker where it had pooled and even a bit of colouration in places. Now because I had seen Jay Chou's work, I looked at this a bit more intensely than perhaps I would usually have done - truth be told I generally just screw it up and chuck it in the bin! Any how, I whipped out my trusty pencil and added a few lines and this iis what transpired ...


Now my point  ( and there truly is one - I promise!) is  not that I am a great artist - clearly - but rather that because I had been exposed to an artists work, I looked at things differently - with new eyes if you like. Hence my outlook was broadened and who knows how this may influence my own work/life and in turn the impact I might have on those around me? Perhaps I will look more creatively at a problem and you know - solve it creatively! Such is the ripple effect of art, seeing it, experiencing it. It is a no-brainer as far as I can tell - we really do need art in our lives. If there happen to be any govern-mental types out there who have the ear of those in control of the money - please spread the word - We Need Art. Art Needs Funding. Shit. I think I just twisted my ankle getting off my soapbox.

1 comment:

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

Well said!