Wednesday, July 11, 2012

In what is proving to be a relatively unproductive week, I am feeling happy that I have fully completed one piece of jewellery! You have seen this work in progress over here. Well now I can show you its finished form - hoo-bloody-ray! I have dicked about with it long enough and will dick no more!




I was  pleased with the addition of this lovely chunk of quartz . In combination with the eye it gives the piece a shamanistic resonance. (OMG - I have been undertaking a formal arts education for waaaay too long - that sounded kinda poncy!)


Once I attached the crystal, construction drew to a screaming halt. I kept picking the piece up and holding it up to the light. I think I was hoping it would tell me what to do next or that some wee elves might steal into the studio at night and deal with it. But no. Every morning it was still there. Unfinished. Waiting. It took so long because I was indecisive about how I wanted to hang the main piece. I had thought that something chunky and vaguely Medieval would be the go so I started constructing a chain of these links.




These are made from fork tines and were fun to make - it got a little addictive to be honest. Sadly it became abundantly clear that an entire chain made in this fashion was gonna be too heavy and uncomfortable to wear. Then I struck on the idea of adding crosses - very symbolic and evocative I thought. Hummpphh.  I tried a few in different materials, shell, metal, wood but they overwhelmed the piece and frankly with the eye were all a bit too "Damien" for my liking. (Remember "The Omen ... bbbrrr - creepy!)  My solution  ...




I cut cross-like shapes from an etched brass tray. It conveys the idea without punching you in the face and are much more in the Medieval vein than crucifix type crosses. I added a vintage key (unlocking knowledge) and a chunk of rose quartz for femininity. I got to thinking about beautiful Medieval tapestries and decided I wanted a flower motif in this piece. I had found the perfect element on a Marathon Op Shop Hunt. Remeber these ...?




With a little tinkering, they became these ...



In my last post I showed you some of these brass plaques ...


I cut them up and used some of the material to make the findings to attach the woven cotton cord to the rest of the necklace. This is how they turned out. And I didn't even have to anneal the metal!


It is done and dusted now so I can spend some time thinking about a name for it. Any suggestions?

(Now if you want to go scare yourself senseless and have nightmares for a week you can check out the 1976 trailer for The Omen over here. I'm too much of a scaredey cat to put the video in the post. Be warned it is very creepy and not for youngun's! Wish someone had mentioned that to my Mum before she sneaked me into the Drive-In to see it ....)

2 comments:

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

Fantastic! Exceeds all expectations! And still kinda freaky!

seabreezequilts said...

What an amazing piece. Love it. Sorry have trouble enough picking names for my quilts.