Saturday, June 15, 2013

Artefacts

Over the summer I got to do a little bit of beachcombing - a real treat as there isn't decent oceany beach within coo- eee of where I live. I foraged and collected, often enlisting my hapless companions to scour the mounds of seaweed and piles of shells for interesting bits and pieces.

Today I applied a loose taxonomy to my finds. Firstly into their geographical zones ...




Then I went a bit further and divided them up into  groups within the geographical groups based on their material properties. Shells with shells,pottery with pottery etc.


This was the largest group. All this was gleaned from the lower part of the Yorke Penninsula in South Australia - scrummy isn't it? 


Mmmmmm - just loving all these organic shapes. This stuff began life as mass produced things and has been worn away by the tides to create strangely natural looking objects. It does my head in. In a good way! I feel an exhibition coming on ...
Quite probably the best find could be the desiccated fish we found at Walarooo .... 
Let me introduce ZOMBIE FISH!



Scary huh? 




7 comments:

Lela said...

WONDERFUL finds! Beach combing is one of my very fav pasttimes. I'm not too wild about that skull, but I covet all the beach glass and pottery!!

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Ms Kath Pathwalker said...

Crikey, if you alphabetise them I'm gonna get worried!
Beautiful!

Jo said...

What a hoard! I do like zombie fish!

Enchanted Moments said...

ewwww, never seen a fish skeleton over there with teeth like that!!! Does it smell?..lol

sue said...

No smell at all! It is a puffer fish skeleton!

Melissa said...

Lovely collection, poor ol' fishy! He can now keep the other skulls company.

Emma said...

Wow, that's quite a skull! Beautiful work you've been doing. Hope your exhibition was/is a success. Just recovering from finishing mine!